Limiting Beliefs and Starting a Business
So I’m going to say it starting your own business is scary! You don’t know what you don’t know and there’s a lot that goes into it. There’s also a certain level of risk involved depending on the industry you are going into it.
But what are the beliefs that are keeping you from taking that first step? Are you telling yourself you can’t do it or that you won’t be able to handle it? Those types of thoughts put us in an unproductive box and don’t help us to move toward our goals. When we work towards our goals it brings growth, and growth brings challenges. But don’t worry we will go down this road together! Here are some tips on how to overcome those limiting beliefs that tell you, you can’t.
1. First things first - take a deep breath and say to yourself “I can do this.” Your first step is to believe in yourself since you are your biggest cheerleader.
2. Do your research - what industry do you want to go into? What are the trends and needs of that industry?
3. Create a business plan – start thinking and writing out where you want your business to locate, online or at a physical location. Do you have the funds to get your business started or will you need to get investors? Use your business plan to help you stay on track.
4. Get organized – Organize your payments, incoming emails, scheduling, and all other administrative functions. Set up a system that will keep your documents filed so they are easily accessible to you.
5. Build a network of supporters - family, friends, and other business owners who can offer valuable advice and support. You’ll want people you can lean on for a supportive hugs, or small tips to go in the right direction. Keep people around you who will lift you up.
6. Don't give up - starting your own business is hard work, but it's worth it in the end! You can do this!
We all fall into the trap of limiting beliefs, They tell us you can’t do it, or no one you know has a business so why could you? It keeps us in a cycle of questioning our abilities. But what happens when we take that first step and go for the goal of opening the business, doing what we’re passionate about it, and being our own boss. This is one of the reasons I love the quote by Eric Hansen “What if I fall, oh but my darling what if you fly.”
Until next time, stay motivated.